With the immigration debate in Washington heating up, Americans across the country recognize that we need smart and practical solutions to help reform our country’s broken immigration system.
Our immigration laws haven’t been significantly updated in almost 50 years, while other countries are implementing immigration programs to lure entrepreneurs, innovators, skilled workers, and other valuable potential employees. Meanwhile, our system still works to support a Cold War economy in the 21st century. It’s an outdated and outmoded system that is as frustrating as it is ineffective.
That’s why this past February I joined with the Partnership for a New American Economy to join the March for Innovation, one of the largest virtual marches on Washington to promote smart immigration reform that will keep us competitive and help our economy grow. Run by the Partnership – a coalition of more than 500 mayors and CEOs led by New York City Mayor Michael Bloomberg – the March will unite these same leaders and the greater public in pushing for economically-smart, pro-tech, pro-entrepreneur immigration reform, including:
- Visas for entrepreneurs
- Access to high-skilled workers when and where they are needed through H-1B visas and green cards
- Green cards for the advanced degree graduates in science, technology, engineering and math (STEM) we are training in our universities
And we need your help! As we saw last year, virtual marches like the online protest against SOPA and PIPA can make a real difference in Washington. However, SOPA and PIPA worked because the campaign went viral. With your support, we can make the March for Innovation even more effective.
This call to action starts today and will culminate with a Thunderclap when legislation is introduced in May. We invite you to join us:
Start by sharing a tweet or Facebook post at marchforinnovation.com
- If you have a story to tell, share it with the March for Innovation team at the same site
- Join the Thunderclap (which will flood Twitter on the day of the March for Innovation) and follow the March on Facebook and Twitter
- Use your company homepage to drive traffic to marchforinnovation.com with their widget atmarchforinnovation.com/get_
- Email the March at firstname.lastname@example.org and tell them how you think you can help the effort.
I encourage you to get involved and get active on this issue. Our competitiveness on the world stage may depend on it.