Diversity, Equity, Inclusion Solutions (DEIS) Practicum
Rodney was one of the dozen Black colleagues I reached out to after George Floyd was murdered. I asked them each the question, “What are two things you are doing to eliminate racism that I can support you with time, network, and money?” If you are a regular reader of this blog, you’ve seen some of the Black colleagues and initiatives I’ve gotten involved with.
Rodney and I have embarked on several projects together. The DEIS Practicum is one of them. We selected “Practicum” rather than “Summit” or “Conference” to signal that this is a “how-to” experience rather than a “why not” event. Our goal is for DEIS to be different from other D&I conferences.
In Rodney’s words:
- It is not a conversation to regurgitate the dismal data.
- It is not a self-centered, philosophical, diversity of thought, no results afterward event.
- It is not an opportunity for whiteness as a victim.
- It is not a performative event. No hashtags here.
Instead, we are being intentional about how to support an increasing number of Black board members, founders, CEOs, teams, suppliers, and anti-racist products. DEIS will present practical solutions for startup teams, accelerators, ecosystem builders, investors, and big tech companies.
The agenda (full agenda here) includes the following discussions:
- DEIS in Corporate Governance & Board
- DEIS in Human Resources & Talent Acquisition
- DEIS in Procurement
- DEIS in Edge Technology Product Development & Corporate Innovation
- DEIS in Go To Market
- DEIS in Venture Capital & Investment
- DEIS in Impact
We chose to do this together right after the election to send a signal around the importance of acting now to actually work together to create change, especially around the economic case for DEI.
Tickets are affordable and all net proceeds from the DEIS Practicum will support OHUB Foundation. Tickets provide access to the entire event and include a copy of the following books.
- A copy of Kingonomics: Twelve Innovative Currencies for Transforming Your Future
- A copy of The Startup Community Way: Evolving an Entrepreneurial Ecosystem
- A copy of Allies and Advocates: Creating an Inclusive and Equitable Culture (Nov 2020 release)
- A copy of Unapologetically Ambitious: Take Risks, Break Barriers, and Create Success on Your Own Terms; and
- A copy of The Memo: What Women of Color Need to Know to Secure a Seat at the Table
Amy and I have helped underwrite this event from our Anchor Point Foundation. and I’m providing a copy of my newest book The Startup Community Way for free to all attendees. And, if you’d like to attend but can’t afford it, please drop me an email as some scholarships are available.
Please join us for the Diversity, Equity, Inclusion Solutions (DEIS) Practicum.