2007 was only 8 years ago. Back then, you could see VCs everywhere tapping away on the Blackberry keyboards. If you don’t believe me, I have video evidence of it from Fred Wilson, Bijan Sabet, Roger Ehrenberg, and Howard Lindzon.
If you, like me, have been grinding along on email and phone calls all day and need a back to the future type of laugh, I think this will do it for you.
I just read Howard Lindzon’s book The Wallstrip Edge: Using Trends to Make Money — Find Them, Ride Them, and Get Off. It’s a really fun book – 200 pages of the inside of Howard’s brain. There are so many things about Howard that I love including:
- He is totally hilarious
- He created Wallstrip, which was a successful investment for me (and him)
- He understands how and when to use the word fuck
- He twitters endlessly about his twittering (and stocks – especially Stocktwits, which he helped create)
- Whenever I spend any time with Howard, I laugh at least once ever five minutes
- He has this funny Canadian accent that is crossed with a weird Arizona semi-drawl spoken at a New Yorkers pace
- He’s been a hugely helpful TechStars Mentor
- He’s a self-proclaimed putz – and proud of it
- He wrote about me in his book and was very flattering
- He has a giant party in the spring called LindzonPalooza and schedules it on a weekend that I can never come
- His blog is dynamite
I could keep going but you get the point. If your path hasn’t intersected with Howard, you are missing out. Howard will engage in a conversation with pretty much anyone, including my dad, so go for it. And grab his book – it’ll give you a fresh perspective on public (and private) market investing.
Don’t take my word for it – take Fred Wilson’s. On the back cover he says “When I first came across Howard, he had a blog called PutzOrYutz.com. But he is anything but a putz. He’s among the smartest investors, both in the public and private markets, that I know.” Howard also wrote nice things about Fred in his book, but Fred (and I) both gave the publisher our back cover quotes before we read the book.
Yup – Fred and I are card carrying members of the Howard Lindzon Fan Club. Lindzonville is a terrific and endlessly hilarious place.